Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Uneven ground. Rapid water. Falling trees. Snakes.


Well this week we went Bush Walking! After driving along the Great Ocean Road for an hour we arrived at Lorne, the location of a lovely beach, the start of the Bush Walk and the very beautiful Erksine Falls, a 30foot waterfall. There was a sign that advised only experienced bush walkers pass that point but we hardly saw it as we set off and rambled on for a few hours deeper into the Bush, where there was no path except for ones you made yourself - this meant crossing fast-flowing rivers and clambering over fallen trees to keep on going. Was immensely fun and a little bit scary at times....

                                                                                                                                                               
The beach at Lorne was perfect and we reverted to childhood, getting down on our hands and knees to make a big sandcastle. Children looked on enviously as two adults carved out a moat and added 4 turrets to our sandy masterpiece. Small but evident satisfaction was gotten from the waves that filled the moat but failed to crumble the foundations of the castle. It was a well spent half an hour. 





We also decided to have a poke about in the rock pools further on down the beach. A few crabs made good their escape as I tried to catch one but I eventually cornered one of the littler beasts and made it pose for a photo. It didn't like it that much, was a bit snappy with me (Sorry, bad joke...). Some red and black sea anemones tried to close up around my finger as I gave them a gentle prod and some mini-shrimp things tickled my feet as I tip-toed through the pools - I really was just going round accidentally annoying the wildlife.

Victoria x

No comments:

Post a Comment