Monday, 2 May 2011

A Brit goes to Camp....

Easter Weekend just wouldn't be the same without some good old fashioned family time. So for Easter we went away to Apollo Bay to camp, with family. Sadly, not my family. Happily, the very nice family of our housemate, so all was not lost. 

It entailed the general gadabouting you can expect from an Australian camp (not to be confused with an Austrian camp.....VERY different things) - trips to the beach, surfing, staying up late drinking and playing incomprehensible card games, sand between the toes for almost 72 hours... 

Easter Sunday itself consisted of an 8am wake-up call followed by puzzles, games and an Easter egg hunt in some bushes. All very healthy, good for the soul kind of nonsense....except I was massively hungover (having stayed up late drinking and playing incomprehensible... we've discussed this) and nearly stole as many Easter eggs as I could carry in order to scoff, and quash the rising nausea in my tum. I'd devoured my choccy bunny before breakfast. 


The rest of the day we spent exploring nearby forests and the beach, and after seeing a sign for the Shell Museum we did a U-turn at 50kays in order to see what it was all about. Turns out, it was a lot of shells. Good shells, well worth the 5 dollars that I was happy to pay after smearing the glass cases with my fingers seeing as I'd had an ice lolly moments before... 

(Our new apartment. The tree house. Har har...)

So, camp - extremely Australian, and next time I shall be more prepared. Take two duvets so we're not forced to share a creaky bunk. Pack more socks than I think I will need. In fact I'll take every pair of socks I own. Prepare to look less than my best and take a luke-warm shower with hoards of people waiting for me to soap up, rinse off and get out. 

Oh, and I saw a bazillion koala bears. Absolutely worth any amount of soggy socks and cold showers...



Victoria x


No comments:

Post a Comment