Monday, 21 March 2011

Weekend in Melbourne...

After this weekends visit I understand why Melbourne is high on the list of places people want to visit before they shuffle off this mortal coil. It's simply phenomenal. 
I started off in St Kilda, South Melbourne, to meet my boyfriend's brother. We all walked along the beach with gelato cones (I chose coconut and tiramisu, divine) and saw the sunset. I'm not normally a fan of beaches - getting sand in places I can't even name, sweating so much that my mascara ends up somewhere near my ears - it's all very tiring. But at sunset it's a different story. 

At the end of the main pier was a small boardwalk next to a penguin colony with rocks all heaped on top of each other with gaps for the little fellas to wander between. After the Sun had gone down a small crowd of us had gathered quietly waiting....and waiting....before a couple Little Penguins swam to shore, flapped onto the beach and did a comical little dash under the boardwalk and into the rocks. Was hilarious and extremely cute! Didn't get no photos this time but will be back!

Now here's where it gets silly. Driving through Melbourne I was excited to be told we were headed to Pin Oak Court. Nothing special about that you may think until you realise its other name is RAMSEY STREET!! I was just imagining Dr Karl Kennedy wandering around being generally amazing when who should come on the radio....Kylie Minogue. All I needed was Jason Donovan to stroll down the road and I could've died a happy woman. Pin Oak Ct/Ramsey St was smaller than I imagined but it's immensely cool and beautifully kept, even for someone who doesn't watch Neighbours. 

A visit to Melbourne city itself was a bit of an experience. Huge skyscrapers, beautiful sunshine, happy residents looking trendy sipping wine and having lunch on the sidewalk restaurants. We strolled along holding hands and thinking everything around us looked like something from a film....it's difficult not to be seduced by it all. 



Victoria x

No comments:

Post a Comment